North Albany Road Construction Project
- About this page:
- Last Updated: April 17, 2015 April 17, 2015
NOTICE OF NIGHT WORK: Quarry Road to Gibson Hill Road
The City of Albany has contracted with Emery & Sons Construction of Salem to construct the North Albany Road Reconstruction project. A portion of the work is scheduled to take place at night to ensure public safety and reduce impacts to traffic. This notification provides information regarding the planned night work.
When is the night work scheduled?
Night work will take place between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.:
- April 27-May 1 (5 Nights)
- May 11-12 (2 Nights)
- May 18-19 (2 Nights)
The contractor and the City will work to ensure these dates are accurate; however, the dates are subject to change if unforeseen circumstances arise. Updates to the schedule will be provided on the project’s webpage at www.cityofalbany.net/northalbanyroad.
What work will take place at night?
The contractor will be installing new water lines, storm drain lines, and reconstructing North Albany Road between Quarry Road and the Gibson Hill Roundabout. Completing this work before the full road closure south of Quarry Road will facilitate later detours and reduce community impact throughout the summer.
Why is this work happening at night?
The location of the new utilities, paired with heavy daytime traffic, makes construction problematic during daytime hours. If done during the day, the work could pose a safety risk to the public, especially children who walk this route to and from school. Nighttime work has been kept to an absolute minimum but cannot be eliminated entirely.
Will the work be noisy?
Yes. The contractor will take steps to reduce the noise as much as possible, but construction is a noisy activity. The City understands this will be an inconvenience and appreciates your patience and understanding. We have made every effort to minimize night work and will continue to be sensitive to noise concerns during night work.
Will the road be closed during night work?
No, traffic will be controlled by flaggers through the work zone.
North Albany Road Reconstruction
North Albany Road will be reconstructed between the railroad tracks and the Gibson Hill roundabout and will include curbs, sidewalk, and a center turn lane. In addition, work will include:
- Replacement of bridge over Thornton Lake
- New water and storm drainage lines
- West Thornton Lake Drive will be realigned so it connects to the existing traffic signal at the intersection to North Albany Middle School
- North Albany Road, between the bridge and East Thornton Lake Drive, will be raised to maintain emergency access during a major flood event.
Gibson Hill Sidewalk
Sidewalk will be constructed on the entire south side of Gibson Hill Road from Scenic Drive to the Gibson Hill Roundabout and at isolated locations on the north side of Gibson Hill Road.
- Utility and road construction begins.
- North Albany Road will remain open to traffic.
- Lane closures and flaggers should be anticipated.
- North Albany Road will be closed from Quarry Road to the railroad tracks.
- Traffic will be detoured via Quarry Road and Springhill Drive.
- North Albany Road open to through traffic.
- Minor construction and landscape work to continue.