City of Albany logo

Updated Floodplain Maps and Regulations

  • New FEMA Floodplain Maps. The maps are now digital and use an aerial photo as the base, which makes it much easier to locate specific properties than before. The various FEMA flood hazard maps can be viewed on this link.
    The new flood hazard boundary layers were added to the City's Geographic Information System and can be viewed by clicking on the "100-Year Flood" or "Floodway" layers in the Table of Contents. You can zoom into a particular area, or type in an address (do not use ST., AVE., NW, SW, etc. or it will get confused).
  • New Floodplain Regulations. To comply with FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the City recently updated its floodplain regulations. The intent of the regulations is to reduce loss of life and property and to regulate activities that may obstruct or change the flow of water. Participation in NFIP allows residents and business owners to purchase federally backed flood insurance. See Article 6 of the Albany Development Code
  • New Floodplain Development Permit. One new requirement is a floodplain development permit for development activities in the 100-year floodplain. Any floodplain development that could potentially increase areas subject to the 100-year flood or could affect the floodway must require a permit. Floodplain development is defined as any man-made change to real property, including but not limited to, construction or placement of buildings or other structures, fencing, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavating, land clearing, drilling, or Continuous Storage Operations in the Special Flood Hazard Area (100-year floodplain).
  • Many small-scale development activities and residential accessory uses are exempt from the floodplain development permit. But any development in the 100-year floodplain that could potentially divert or obstruct the flow of water, and create a danger or hazard to life or property, is not exempt from obtaining a floodplain development permit. See Article 6 of the Albany Development Code
  • This section of Albany's Web site provides information about the floodplain. City staff are available to provide specific flood and flood-related data, make site visits to review flood, drainage and sewer problems, and advise and assist on retrofitting techniques.

A permit may be required to build in a floodplain. Copies of elevation certificates for all permitted work can be obtained from the Building Division. To speak with someone about these issues, please call the Community Development Department at 541-917-7550 (Planning) or 541-917-7553 (Building), or visit the Community Development customer counter, second floor of City Hall, 333 Broadalbin Street SW.

A permit may be required to grade or fill in a floodplain. To speak with someone about these issues, please call the Public Works Engineering Division at 541-917-7676, or visit the Engineering Division customer counter, second floor of City Hall, 333 Broadalbin Street SW.

Floodplain publications are available for viewing in the reference section of the Main Library, 1390 Waverly Drive SE.

Important Contacts

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Phone: (425) 487-4600

City of Albany Planning Division
333 Broadalbin St SW
Phone: (541) 917-7550

City of Albany Public Works Operations Division
Phone: (541) 917-7600

City of Albany Main Library
(Reference section contains floodplain publications)
2450 14th Avenue SE
Phone: (541) 917-7580

Division of State Lands (DSL)
Phone: (503) 378-3805

Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW)
Phone: (503) 872-5268

Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF)
Phone: (503) 945-7200

National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)
Phone: (206) 526-6150
Web: (and)

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Phone: (503) 808-4510