AARP Tax-Aide Tax Filing Assistance
- Updated on Thursday, January 3, 2013, 7:03 pm
Make your appointment today!
The AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will again prepare taxes at the Albany Senior Center for people of all ages with low to moderate income. These tax returns are prepared on computers and are electronically-filed at no charge. To help avoid long waits, appointments are required. The volunteers will be preparing taxes at the Albany Senior Center on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. and at the Albany Public Library main branch on Tuesday, from 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. and Saturday from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. This will run from February 1 through April 15. Call the Senior Center at 541/917-7760 to make an appointment for either location. Please note if you need help with previous years taxes the volunteers will help you with this during the month of March.
To assist Tax-Aide volunteers in preparing your taxes in the shortest time possible, it would be helpful to summarize your various deductions for medical expenses and charitable contributions prior to your coming in. If your non-cash donations to charitable organizations total more than $500, you will need to provide the date of purchase, date of donation, as well as the cost and description of the items donated. Medical and charitable mileage deductions should be summarized into two periods – January thru June, and July thru December. Also, you must bring last year's tax return, your 2012 tax documents (1099, W-2, etc.), social security card, photo I.D., and records of any estimated tax payments made during 2012.
What you should bring when you visit an AARP Tax-Aide site:
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents;
- Copy of last year's income tax returns;
- W-2 forms from each employer;
- Unemployment compensation statements;
- 1099 forms
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- Child care provider information (name, employer ID, Social Security number);
- Summary of receipts or checks for deductible items if itemizing;
- Noted amount of economic stimulus payment received
The AARP Tax-Aide is locally sponsored by RSVP, a program of Community Services Consortium, and the Albany Senior Center.
For additional information, visit the website at http://www.communityservices.us/aarp_tax_aide.htm
Translate this page: