- Updated on Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 7:33 pm
The City of Albany was incorporated in 1860 and when the City Charter was adopted, the title of Marshal was used for the head of the Police Department. The Marshal was the entire police department at that time and was being assisted only by a "night watchman."
Since the City's incorporation, the Police Department has grown from a one-man department to a staff of 95 people: 63 sworn officers and 32 civilian employees. We receive additional support through a youth Cadet program for teens who are interested in law enforcement as a career and many citizen volunteers who provide support through community programs. The Department is equipped with mobile data terminals in patrol vehicles and has an advanced Computer Aided Dispatch/Records Management System (CAD/RMS).
From the early 1940's to 1965, the Police Department was located between 2nd and 3rd Avenues and Broadalbin and Ferry Streets (now Two Rivers Market and a parking lot). The early building had two jail cells. In 1965, the Police Department, along with other City offices, moved to a building on the southeast corner of 2nd Avenue and Broadalbin Street. This historic structure was built in 1913 and had served as the United States Post Office prior to the City's occupancy.
The Albany Police Department moved to its current location at 1117 SE Jackson Street in April 1988. The single-story building was planned to meet the needs of the police department for 20 years. It was strategically located next door to the Linn County Jail so the Albany Police Department could use the Linn County facility instead of having their own jail. The building has undergone several interior remodels to accommodate the ever-increasing need for workspace. We have now outgrown the facility and property. In planning for our future, the City purchased 4.3 acres of land, located on the west side of Pacific Boulevard between 24th and 29th Avenues, on December 21, 2009. This site will be the future home of the Albany Police Department.
On January 1, 2010, the Albany Police Department began a year-long celebration of 150 years of "Excellence through Service." Oregon became a state just one year before the Albany Police Department was established. The 150-year commemorative badge features the Oregon seal in the middle of a five-point star. A ribbon-style banner displays the badge owner's name, rank, and badge number.
Continuing in our rich tradition, we look forward to serving, in partnership with the citizens of Albany, for many years to come.
Translate this page: