Programs for Seniors
- Updated on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 9:56 pm
President Obama recognizes Senior Corps Week in his Presidential Proclamation for Older American's month.
For more information on these programs, contact the Community Resource Unit at 541-917-7680.
Safe And Secure Seniors Independent (S.A.S.S.I.)
The purpose of S.A.S.S.I. is "to help independent seniors maintain safe and secure homes." S.A.S.S.I. is a group of volunteers and local law enforcement agencies who offer free home security and fire safety inspections and education to Albany residents 55 years of age and older.
Security & fire safety improvements make a difference. Home security devices and fire safety improvements are sometimes beyond seniorsfinancial and physical means. Therefore, all of S.A.S.S.I.'s services are provided at lower or no cost, depending on individual need. No one should have to compromise safety and security due to their economic circumstances.
The following free or low-cost services are provided by S.A.S.S.I.:
- Home security inspections.
- Security hardware installation.
- Visible address numbers.
- Engraving valuables.
- Personal safety education.
- Identifying potential accident hazards.
- Fire safety inspections.
- Fire escape plans.
- Smoke alarm inspection, installation, and maintenance.
- Resource information and referrals
Don't be a victim. Take action to protect yourself and your home today:
- Discourage burglars – make entry to your home difficult by having adequate door and window locks (1" dead bolt locks are a must), leave exterior lights on at night when you're home, inside lights when you're not, and consider having a dog (even a small dog can act as a deterrent).
- Know your neighbors! Be aware of each other's living habits and who comes and goes from the houses in your neighborhood. Report strangers who appear to be out of the ordinary to police.
- Fatal residential fires are often caused by: combustibles placed too close to a heat source, unattended heat sources, careless smoking, and mechanical failure or malfunction.
For more information, or to schedule a free home safety inspection, please call 541-917-7680.
Translate this page: