- Updated on Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 7:33 pm
What are biosolids?
Biosolids are a by-product of the City's wastewater treatment process. The City collects and treats approximately 17 million gallons of solid and liquid waste each day from homes, businesses, and industry in Albany and Millersburg. After treatment, clean water is released into the Willamette River and treated solids are stored as biosolids for use as a fertilizer on designated area fields.
The biosolids process is regulated by the State Department of Environmental Quality and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Operating under state and federal regulations, the City produces a valuable resource that works as a soil amendment on non-consumption crops, primarily grass seed. Every step of the land application process is closely monitored to ensure the City is in compliance with regulations, and that the needs of local growers are met.
In May 2006, the City of Albany became the first agency in Oregon and only the twelfth agency in the nation to have a Biosolids Environmental Management System certified by the National Biosolids Partnership. This honor is the result of a commitment from the Public Works director and staff to a continually improving biosolids program and the desire to be a national leader in biosolids management. For more information on the National Biosolids Partnership, visit their website at·http://www.biosolids.org.
- Biosolids Annual Report (116KB pdf)
- Biosolids Management Program Performance Report (284KB pdf)
- EMS Manual (442KB pdf)
- Goals and Objectives (50KB pdf)
- Initial Verification Audit Report 2006 (105KB pdf)
- Internal Audit Report-May 2005 (37KB pdf)
- Year 1 Interim Audit Report 2007 (88KB pdf)
- Year 2 Interim Audit Report 2008 (76KB pdf)
- Year 3 Interim Audit Report 2009 (81KB pdf)
- Year 4 Interim Audit Report 2010 (107KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Fall 2009 (719KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Spring 2009 (631KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Winter 2008 (586KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Spring 2007 (2.4MB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Winter 2007 (490KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Fall 2006 (1.24MB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Summer 2006 (918KB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Spring 2006 (1.96MB pdf)
- Biosolids Newsletter-Winter 2006 (206KB pdf)
Translate this page: