- About this page:
- Last Updated: April 5, 2019 April 5, 2019
The Albany Police Department will proudly become nationally accredited in November of 2019 through the Commission on Accreditation Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). We will be the 3rd law enforcement agency in Oregon to achieve this status.
The Albany Police Department began the journey to become nationally accredited in 2015. Over the past few years the Department has revamped policies and implemented new procedures to ensure efficient law enforcement standards and practices. A comprehensive on-site inspection of policies, procedures, and operations will take place June 10-13, 2019. In November 2019, the department will go before the CALEA Committee Review panel to review the on-site assessment report. With approval from the committee, accreditation will be granted.
By choosing to be accredited through CALEA, the Albany Police Department has voluntarily accepted the challenge to meet the most rigorous set of standards designed for law enforcement in the United States.
CALEA developed a comprehensive set of 486 written standards covering every aspect of law enforcement policies, procedures, best practices and operations. These standards are designed to increase:
- Public safety agency capabilities to maintain law and order
- Agency effectiveness and efficiency in the delivery of public safety services
- Cooperation and coordination with other public safety agencies, and with other agencies in the criminal justice system
- Citizen and employee confidence in the goals, objectives, policies, and practices of the agency
Benefits of Accreditation:
- Enhanced community partnerships
- Coordination with neighboring agencies and other parts of the criminal justice system.
- Systematic assessment and upgrading of training and equipment.
- Reduction of liability litigation and related costs.
- Proactively developed management systems, policies and procedures.
- Impartial guidelines for evaluation and change.
- International recognition of professional excellence.
For more information about accreditation with CALEA, go to www.calea.org.