Please note: Albany Police Department has moved to 2600 Pacific Boulevard SW.
- About this page:
- Last Updated: August 29, 2016 August 29, 2016
Talk to your kids
- Listen... Really listen to what your child tells you about friends, the neighborhood, worries, and fears. Thoughtful listening builds communication and trust, which are keys to helping your kids grow up safe.
- Talk with your kids about drugs, violence, and other problems.
- Make your family values clear, and provide a good example.
- Make sure you know your child's friends and the friends' parents.
- Check out the neighborhood with your child. Find out where he or she feels safe and unsafe. Work with neighbors to address problems such as unsafe "shortcuts," dangerous intersections, areas where shrubbery needs trimming back, lack of safe places to seek help.
- Set up clear rules for play after school, on weekends, and during "time off" in the summer or at holidays. Help your child review them regularly.
- Urge kids to play in groups, which are far less susceptible to an approach by strangers.
- Be a helping adult. Let kids know that they can tell you anything and that you will listen caringly. Mentor a child who needs adult support.
AMC 7.44.110 Responsibility of guardian or parent.
It is unlawful for any parent, legal guardian, or any other adult having the legal care and custody of any minor person under the age of 18 years, to allow or permit any such person to go upon or be upon any street, alley, park or any public place between 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and 5:30 a.m. of the following morning, and between midnight on Friday and Saturday and 5:30 a.m. of the following morning, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or any other person lawfully and properly accompanying such minor person. (Ord. 3228 § 2,1965; Ord. 1555 § 2, 1943).
At what age can a child be left home alone?
Legally at 10 years of age; however, you may want to consider ORS 163.545 Child neglect in the second degree.
(1) A person having custody or control of a child under 10 years of age commits the crime of child neglect in the second degree if, with criminal negligence, the person leaves the child unattended in or at any place for such period of time as maybe likely to endanger the health or welfare of such child
(2) Child neglect in the second degree is a Class A misdemeanor.
What is the legal babysitting age?
There is no law regarding a specified babysitting age. What is being taught by the local classes offered to prospective sitters is age 11 or 12. The law that may pertain to the 12 years of age follows.
161.290 Incapacity due to immaturity.
(1) A person who is tried, as an adult in a court of criminal jurisdiction is not criminally responsible for any conduct which occurred when the person was under 12 years of age.
(2) Incapacity due to immaturity, as defined in subsection (1) of this section is a defense.