- About this page:
- Last Updated: January 3, 2018 January 3, 2018
January is traditionally the month of new beginnings, an opportunity to create a fresh clean slate for a better you. New Year’s around the world is a symbol of renewal, a time to purge the old and welcome the new. Here are some green living resolutions that are so easy you’ll have no excuse not to keep them.
You’ll not only be contributing to a healthier world, you and your family will be healthier, too.
Green your cleaning
- Make a safer choice for your family, river, and pets when choosing household products, or save money and make your own green cleaners.
Green your yard
- Choose water-efficient plants adapted to our climate (pdf)
- Conserve water
- Choose natural yard care and safer products
- Learn about lawn chemicals and water quality (pdf)
Green your community
Green your block
Green your perspective
- Relax and enjoy the outdoors. Share a picnic lunch with your family at a City park.
Green disposal of old, unwanted, or used products.
- Reuse first
- Parr Lumber, Habitat for Humanity ReStore, Miller Paint, Sherwin Williams
- Other locations available on PaintCare
- Unwanted medications (over the counter, prescription, and pet)
- Compact fluorescent bulbs
- The Home Depot
- Car – AutoZone, Battery X-Change
- Rechargeable and less than 11lbs. ONLY (no single use alkaline or lithium) – Staples
- Rechargeable tool batteries – Home Depot
- Car fluids
- Republic Services (motor oil in sealed container)
- O’Reilly Auto Parts (motor, transmission, and gear oil with no water; and oil filters that have been placed in ziplock bag)
- Mac’s Radiator (antifreeze; please call first 541-926-6616)
- Candle wax, Eye glasses (Partnering with Albany Lions Club), Ink cartridges, Cork, Egg cartons, all metals – Albany Habitat for Humanity
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Republic Services Annual HHW event held in October
- Unusual and don’t know what to do with it? Look here
- Christmas lights (seasonal November 30 – January 11) (pdf)