Did you know that washing your car can cause harm to rivers and wildlife? When you wash your car on the street dirt, oil and other material gets rinsed from your car and into the storm drain where it goes directly to the river. By following the steps below you can help keep your car washes fish-friendly!
- When possible, use a commercial car wash. Commercial car washes use less water and treat wash water before it goes to the stream.
- If you must use soap, choose one that is phosphate-free and biodegradable.
- Wash on gravel or on your yard to prevent soap and dirt from entering the storm drain
- Only wash the body of the car, never wash the engine.
- Turn off the hose when you aren’t using it.