July 2012: Promote and practice fireworks safety
- Updated on Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 7:33 pm
If you can't resist the fun and thrills of celebrating summer holidays with fireworks, please do so safely. The Oregon State Fire Marshal's Office recommends these steps:
- Store fireworks out of the reach of children.
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Keep pets indoors; they are easily frightened by fireworks.
- Always have water handy – a garden hose or a bucket of water.
- Only an adult should light fireworks.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Light only one firework at a time and move away quickly.
- Keep children and pets away from fireworks.
- Never throw fireworks or hold them in your hand.
- Use only legal fireworks.
- Use fireworks only in legal places.
- Fireworks are prohibited on all beaches, state parks, and state and federal forest lands.
- Soak used fireworks thoroughly in a bucket of water.
- Dispose of used fireworks and debris properly.
- Never relight "dud" fireworks. Wait 15-20 minutes; then soak them in a bucket of water.
Translate this page: