- Updated on Friday, December 06, 2013 December 06, 2013
The City of Albany Environmental Services department has been conducting outreach programs to educate the community about our local water resources and the impact humans have on the natural world. We have focused on many issues including watershed protection, surface water pollution, water conservation, stormwater management, water and wastewater treatment, wetlands, and partnership and volunteer activities. We encourage YOU to get involved in environmental education through Awareness and action.
We created the "Eco Rangers" water education program to remind us that we all have a chance to be environmental stewards through everyday actions. Eco Rangers will host activities to encourage citizens to take part in natural resource protection, restoration, and education.
The Eco rangers program will continue to focus on youth environmental education while strengthening ties with the local schools and community partners. The Eco Rangers program provides an assortment of classroom lessons, field trips, and special events designed to educate, entertain, and allow students an opportunity to be active environmental stewards.
Greening The Holidays
Americans add a million tons of waste to landfills between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Change begins with you -- try going green this holiday season:
- Recycle holiday light strands at Republic Services, 1214 Montgomery Street SE. Drop off used, unwanted, or broken holiday lights 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. December 2, 2013- January 10, 2014
- Wrap gifts in old newspapers, Sunday comics, or a reusable textile such as fabric, a bag or a tea towel.
- Buy rechargeable batteries
- Buy foods from a local farmer’s market to lower transportation needs and support the local economy.
- Choose energy-efficient LED lighting which saves up to 90% on power costs and will last longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Bring out the china, silver or stainless flatware, and cloth napkins
- Run full loads of dishes in the dishwasher and clean up after guests with all-natural household cleaners
- Don’t forget to freeze grease; do not dispose of it down the drain.
7th Annual Procession of the Species Parade
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Historic Downtown Albany
Starts at 10:00 a.m. at the Linn County Courthouse steps
- City of Albany's Eco Rangers Water Education Program brochure 2012-13 (pdf)
- City of Albany's Eco Rangers Water Education Newsletter 2012 (pdf)
Translate this page: